Tuesday, December 16, 2008
Cole's 8 Week Appointment
Yesterday Cole had his 2 month doctor's appointment. I am a nurse so I have given many shots to babies. In fact, I work in a Pulmonary and Allergy clinic so I am often giving little kids their allergy shots. It has never bothered me to hold down a child and stick them.
Well after yesterday, that has all changed. I will never be able to give a shot the same way. I did not realize how this may be affecting the parents until now. Cole had to get 3 shots, two in one leg and one in the other. It was terrible. I had to hold down his arms while the nurse held down his legs. As she was giving the shots Cole was looking at me with tears in his eyes, screaming, and it broke my heart! I tried to act all tough like it didn't bother me but my eyes filled up with water right after the nurse left.
How am I supposed to do this when he is older? I mean, now he forgets about it a minute later but pretty soon he is going to remember that his mom helped hold him down for someone to stick him with a long needle! I don't know how all you parents do it. I am not looking forward to his next appointment.
But the appointment wasn't all bad. They weighed and measured him and I had been curious to find out how big he had gotten since his last appointment. Here are his new stats:
*Head circumference: 35 1/2
*Length:23 - 91 percentile
*Weight: 11lbs, 2 ounces - 70 percentile
Well the day ended with a smile on his face, so I guess it wasn't too bad!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





Shots are pretty bad, huh? I love that picture of Cole!
ReplyDeleteHe is getting so big! I cant wait to see him again. Maybe this time I can catch him when he is not sleeping =)
ReplyDeleteMy brother Marshall who is a nurse told me the same type story one time. He said years ago prior to having a son, he worked in the ER and dealt with parents who brought in kids with earaches or high fevers, etc. Marshall looks back now and realizes that his flippant comment about "Antiobiotics take time...so just wait a few days!" He said he cannot believe how differently he felt once he had his son! He said to tell parents just to endure a baby screaming is asking a bit much!
ReplyDeleteBut, we live and we learn and often these instances make us more aware of others' sufferings - huh?
P.S. Cole is absolutely precious!