Friday, March 27, 2009

Carrots!

Yeh for carrots! Cole had his first taste of Carrots on Wednesday! I was so excited all morning long, I just couldn't wait to give him his first baby food! Marshall even told me that if I gave them to him before he got home he would kill me. So it was very big deal in our house, I couldn't believe that I waited until 7pm to give them to him and I really can't believe I waited until he was 5 months to give them to him. But I did and we were all so excited! Well after all the build up and anticipation.... He hated them!! The first spoonful I gave to him he acted like he was having a seizure. It was hilarious!!! His eyes got all wide and he started trembling~ we were dying laughing. Which is why I was so surprised that he let me give him another bite. But the same thing happened and he was not happy! I tried to give him more but he would not let me and sure enough, about 30 seconds later all the carrots came right back up, along with some milk he received earlier! We closed up the carrots and called it a night after that! So after all the excitment and anticipation, he doesn't even like them!! And not only does he not like them, he throws them up! Arghh! I was so happy to give him real food because this means that he won't have to nurse as much and that if I go out to eat somewhere I can bring some of his food along and feed him while I'm out. One thing that I learned about parenting is to not expect too much, because it probably won't happen! So the next day I decided to put a spoonful of carrots with his rice cereal to see if he would like that. And surprisingly, he did! Yeh! Today he got two spoonfuls of carrots with his rice cereal and I am happy to report that they stayed down!! I am hoping to slowly transition him to carrots by themselves eventually. Now I am wondering if I should do this with all his new foods or if it's just the carrots he doesn't like? If any of you wise, veteran moms have any other good suggestions for me on getting your kids to like baby foods, please let me know. I want to give him squash next week!

1 comment:

  1. That was a good idea to mix the carrots with the cereal. That will get him used to the taste a little more! I don't have any real advice for the next foods. I'd still try offering them to him plain to see if he'll eat it, and if not, then mix them with the cereal. I've always heard that kids need to taste something 5 or 6 times before they'll decide they like it, so I'd just keep having him taste things even if he won't eat it the first few times. I know that's really annoying because you end up wasting so much baby food, but I guess it's worth it in the long run.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think about my Post!!