Monday, March 21, 2011

Potty Training

The first part of February Cole and I began our potty training journey. It was a VERY, VERY long 3 days, there were moments when I thought I would throw in the towel and try again later, but I held in there and Cole became potty trained after only 3 days! I know what your thinking, 3 days is great, but it wasn't for me. It was the longest 3 days ever! Not being able to leave the house when your husband works 12 hours a day and cleaning up pee all over the floor and pee in underwear is not fun at all! Here's a little breakdown of my 3 days:
Day 1: I'm really optimistic, I bought Cole jellybeans for a treat and let him go commando all day. Unfortunately, Cole hated the jellybeans and the only other snack I have in the house is ice cream so he gets to eat ice cream all day. He ends up going to the potty ALOT and I end up giving Cole ALOT of ice cream!! He ended up doing surprisingly well, having only 1 pee accident all day!
Day 2: Today I am thinking that he will again have only one accident, especially since he did so good for day one. Nope! He has about 6 or 7 accidents! I try to stop giving him so much liquid so he can't pee as often. Is that some form of neglect? Oh well, I don't care at this point....I am just tired of cleaning up pee!!!
Day 3: I have a friend come over to the house with her little boy and man oh man is that a mistake! Cole pees everywhere!!!!! As soon as I am finished cleaning up one spot, there he is going in another spot! Like he's a dog and marking his territory or something! At one point I take off his clothes just so that I don't have to wash anymore and Cole doesn't only pee, he puts his hand in front of the pee stream and makes the pee fly everywhere! He thought it was hilarious! Talk about being embarrassed! I almost gave up after this day! How does a child go from only have one accident the first day and having 15 two days later? Shouldn't he be getting better, not worse?!
Day 4: I decide to give it one more try today. I am about to lose my mind so I decide that if he has one accident, I am putting on the diaper!! And what do you know; Cole doesn't have a single accident! We play outside for most of the day so he ends up going outside a lot and that really helps!
From Day 4 on, Cole has only had two or three accidents in the past two months! He is doing so well, he always tells me when he has to go and can pretty much go all by himself. He still has a hard time pulling up and down his pants, but he can put up the toilet lid, move his stool in front of the toilet and aim!
He has gotten almost too good at going potty on his own. And by this I mean that he wakes up in the middle of the night to tell me he has to go. I know that this is a good thing, but it's really not for me. I don't want to get up in the middle of the night to take him to the bathroom! I want him to just sleep through it and go in his pull up!! He has just gotten too good!!
It was a really long 3 days but totally worth it! I am so proud of my little boy! After everytime Cole would go to potty, we would say "yay Cole"! Til this day he still says "yay me" after every single time he goes! Like he has to say it or something because it is so nonchalant and forced! It's so funny! He still even sometimes asks for a prize after he goes (and sometimes I give him one)!
We are going to Disney World this week and this means I don't have to pack diapers!!! I'm loving it!

2 comments:

  1. You'll have give me all your tips when the time comes for me since you did it so fast! That's awesome! Have fun at Disney!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is hilarious, Lindsay!! I remember Dylan did the same thing - great on the first day and then it was downhill for several days after that. I'm glad you stuck it out and now you save sooo much money by not having to buy diapers! Yay!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think about my Post!!