Hallelujah! We have been pacifier free for 48 hours!!
We took Cole's pacifier away last Saturday night and stuck them all up in one of our kitchen cabinets and told ourselves that if he asks for one, we will just tell him that they went bye-bye. So when we put Cole to bed that night, that is the first thing he asks for! We give him the standard answer and after about an hour of watching cartoons, he finally falls asleep. He was so good. He never whined or got mad, he just stayed awake.
Cole then wakes up at about 5:30am. This time Cole is hysterical, wanting his pacifier and wanting to get out of bed! So after spending 2 hours with him, giving him a snack and drink and watching more cartoons with him, he finally calms down and falls back to sleep. First night without a pacifier done: phew!
The next night without a pacifier went waaaaay better. Cole just laid down and went right to sleep. It definitely takes him a few more minutes to settle himself down and fall asleep than normal, but he is doing a great job. He slept 10 hours last night and never woke up! And during the day if he asks for it, we tell him that it went bye-bye and he doesn't ask for it again! He's good at accepting that answer and doesn't even question it!
This has been a very long, successful week for us! We have officially moved Cole into his big boy bed and have gotten rid of the pacifier! The only thing left for us to do is potty train, which I think we are going to wait until after Christmas to start doing.
I have been overcome with emotions this week. I am soooooo happy to have gotten rid of his pacifier and to have moved him into his new bed, you have no idea! But for some reason I cried for about 20 minutes Saturday night because I was so overwhelmed with the fact that Cole is not a baby anymore! He is growing up so fast that it makes me so extremely sad! I want him to always want his mommy and never want him to grow out of giving me hugs and snuggling with me! I just can't believe how grown up he acts for a two year old! I'm sure that every mom feels this way, I just didn't expect to feel this way so soon!





I'm glad it's going well! Clark actually went to bed without one tonight because we couldn't find it! It only took him about 5 minutes to fall asleep, but he was so tired since he didn't nap today. Hopefully tomorrow will go as well as it has been going for you!
ReplyDeleteGood job Cole! I'm so encouraged about taking Katie's now! And I can't even think about putting her in a big girl bed - it's too hard to believe they are this big.
ReplyDeleteaww....great job Cole! i can understand why you'd be so overcome with emotion. umm....when are you going to have the next one :) ?
ReplyDeleteYay for you and Cole! Great job sticking with it and not giving in when he wanted it. I'm sure that was HARD! He's so grown up!
ReplyDeleteI was wondering how it was going! I can't believe he's done so well! That's awesome! Brayden is only 6 months old and I get upset when I think about him growing up, so don't feel bad! :)
ReplyDeleteYes, boys always need their mommies. Your role will just change gradually over the years. If you miss your baby just have another one.
ReplyDeleteWhat's all this talk about me having another one! I may end up with 10 kids if I use that philosophy!
ReplyDeleteagree have another one :) but yay for Cole and doing so well!
ReplyDeleteThere is a reason you have so many comments on this particular post!! It is just soooo tough to be a parent or at least to be a good one I guess. Gabriel was super attached to a quilt loaned to us by his Aunt Betsy. Later on when she asked for it back, I starting crying and begged her if he could keep it! And this was just last summer! ;-)
ReplyDelete