My friend and I decided that it was time to get back into shape and hit the soccer fields again. So we created a soccer team and have begun playing soccer every Monday nights again! We named our team Night Sweats but now I am starting to reconsider the name Hot Flashes, which we originally voted against at the beginning of the season. 
This is how my weeks at playing soccer have panned out so far:
Week 1: We lost. Not only did I realize just how out of shape I was, I also twisted my ankle during the second half of the game, making it hard for me to continue the rest of the game but fortunately I was able to stretch it out and was back in the game within a few minutes.
Week 2: We lost again. This week as I was running (completely not involved in any plays and by myself), I stepped on my foot sideways and heard a loud 'CRUNCH'. Immediately afterwards I realized I could not walk on it at all and stumbled off the field. This time I was not able to stretch it out and didn't play the rest of the game. The entire next week I proceeded to hobble around the house and also let out some pretty embarrassing yelps when I would step on it funny (which Cole thought was hilarious).
Week 3: We lost again. I decided to try to play in the game although the pain in my foot was still a major problem. Thankfully, I was able to play for about 15 minutes but regretted it after the game. Not only did my foot hurt, but now the the pain was radiating to my ankle and up my leg. Fun.
So what does this mean? Is my body just so worn out from carrying Cole or am I just getting older? I've realized I am definitely not as nimble and flexible as I once was. Hot Flashes? I say no, but I realized that I am not getting any younger and I just can't do what I once could do.
To top it all off, my family and I have signed up for the infamous Marine Corps Mud Run at the end of the September. While I was once just worried about running the 4.5 mile course, now I have added stressors. Climbing up walls and running on rocky terrain. Hopefully my ankle and foot feel better by then. But I am a Jones at heart and I can not turn down any event which my whole family is participating in and that I get to swim in a pool of mud.
So I am going to suck it up, although I haven't been able to run at all on my foot in the last 3 weeks and even begin to get in shape for this! Whatever my family does together, we always have fun doing it. If anyone is coming out to watch look for me, I'll be the one going across the finish line in a stretcher!!







If only we could all cross the finish line on that stretcher! But it's going to be fun, and no doubt, memorable!
ReplyDeleteHave fun at the the Mud run! I so wish I could be out on that field running and playing soccer with you guys :( but I have my own team now...the Lil'Strikers! 5 & 6 year olds I LOVE coaching them it is fun...ps tell Cole no hands :)
ReplyDeleteLove you guys and miss you!
You have definitely earned the right to be carried in the stretcher during the Mud Run. Rest your ankle lots so it can get better! And I still think we should walk most of the Mud Run and skip the really hard obstacles so we old ladies don't get hurt! :-)
ReplyDeleteYou're not getting old. That happened to me in high school. I heard the loud pop in my ankle too and had to hobble around for a few weeks. You need to rest it so you don't do any permanent damage to it and it heals good.
ReplyDeleteGary and I love watching y'all play! No matter what! We think y'all are great!
ReplyDelete